, , , ,

I WANT (Dairy-free, Corn-free, and easily Wheat-free) CHICKEN NUGGETS!

11:39 AM

The other day I wanted comfort food.  Specifically, McDonalds chicken nuggets.  Yep.  It happens.  
So, instead of piling the kids in the car and heading over to our local fast food restaurant, I decided to make my own nuggets out of the chicken breasts I had in the freezer.  They turned out... different from McDonalds (like there was real meat inside... I'm sure you could grind your chicken for a more "pasted together" McD-style nugget) but AWESOME nonetheless:

Homemade Fast-Food Style Chicken Nuggets
4-6 chicken breasts
1 1/2 cup flour of your choice
2 tbsp seasalt
2tbsp garlic powder
1tsp ground black pepper (or, cayenne, if you like 'em spicey)


Chop up your chicken into nugget-sized pieces.  Put the pieces in a gallon-sized ziploc bag.  In a small bowl, stir together remaining ingredients.  Dump the bowl into the ziploc bag, seal, and shake it around until the chicken is completely coated. 

This is a picture of my gallon bag about halfway through frying... NOT full.

In a large skillet, heat about an inch of canola oil on medium high heat.  When the oil is hot, add your chicken in batches, turning as it browns on all sides.  Check the pieces frequently to ensure they don't get over/ or under cooked (I just sliced mine open while they were cooking).  




As each batch finishes up, transfer the chicken to a plate with a few paper towels on it (on top of, and underneath) to absorb excess oil.  
 Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.  The kids and I like honey, bbq, and sweet and sour sauces. Hubby like Sriracha.  


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook