, , , , , , , , , , ,

Turning (Rose) Water into Wine

11:50 AM

A few weeks back our wild rose bushes were in full bloom.  There were enough flowers to fill many, many quart containers and the smell was divine.  I stopped picking after about 2 quarts of petals had been harvested (my eldest daughter was done getting pricked by the thorns at that point) and brought them inside to make rosewater.  



I had it in my head that I'd be using the 2 quarts of rosewater that I ended up making in tons of different recipes, but then my fascination with strawberries took over and I lost track of time.  A few  weeks later, my rosewater was still sitting in the refridgerator, looking forlorn...  and I decided to use the whole container in one go!

The result was an amazing smelling sweet rose petal wine!

Rambling Rose Water Wine
2 quarts prepared rose water
2 quarts water
2 lbs white sugar
1 cup white grape juice
1 package wine yeast
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 1/2 cups orange juice (or 1 1/4 cup white grape juice with a splash of lemon juice in it) at room temperature
1 tsp acid blend

Bring rose water and regular water to a boil in a large pot.  Add the sugar and grape juice concentrate.  Remove from heat and let cool.  Let sit, well covered for 24 hours.

In a jar make a yeast starter culture by combining the wine yeast, pectic enzyme, yeast nutrient, and juice of choice.  Cover and shake vigorously.  Let stand 1 to 3 hours, until bubbly.  Then add to the must.

Add the acid blend and pour the mixture into a food-grade plastic bucket.  Cover loosely and allow to sit for 1 week.  Rack the liquid into a 1 gallon airlocked fermentation vessel.  When fermentation has stopped, rack the wine into bottles.  

Wait at least 6 months before sampling.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook