, , , , , , , ,

Upstate NY Gazpacho: The weather turns before the harvest ends

12:36 PM

In my continuing effort to proceed with the tomato theme, I put Gazpacho on my list of things to create last week.  We had all the ingredients on hand, ready to go and as I started chopping and stirring and measuring I realized 2 things:  1)  I wanted protein in my "soup"... so I added garbanzo beans and 2) It was 40 degrees and raining outside.  I wanted HOT soup.





And so, Upstate New York Gazpacho was born!

Upstate New York Gazpacho
1 1/2 lbs tomatoes seeded (seeds and pulp reserved) and chopped
1 cup tomato juice
1 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
1 small jalapeno, seeded and minced
1 medium garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 lime, juiced
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon toasted, ground cumin
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 palmful dried basil
about 1 1/2 cup drained garbanzo beans



Chop up all of your vegetable ingredients and combine them in a large mixing bowl.  Put the reserved tomato seed and pulp through a strainer until you end up with about 1 cup of juice.  Discard the seeds and add the juice to the mixing bowl.  Add the rest of the liquid ingredients to the mixing bowl and stir well.  Take out about 1 1/2 cups of the mixture and puree it in a blender.  Put all the ingredients (including the puree you just made) into a large soup pot.  Add the beans and bring to a boil.  "Cook" on low for about 15 minutes. 

Serve and Enjoy!  


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook